Saturday, December 31, 2011
Below are my must haves for tonights festivities! What are you going to be wearing?
My must haves: Urban Decay Book of Shadows eyeshadow kit, Maybline Great Lash mascara, Lorac blush in Hollywood and Fit Me foundation and powder in 120.
Tuesday, December 27, 2011
I totally love this cute little maxi dress by asos.com. I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but I have done some research and the reviews don't seem great. It looks like there are lots of bad customer service/returned merchandise types of complaints, so buyer beware. I'm thinking of ordering something cheap just to ensure I have a good experience before I invest more money (standard shipping is free to the US). Has anyone else ordered from asos.com and want to share their experience?
Tuesday, December 20, 2011
I went here for my birthday dinner and received the worst service. The organizer took my reservation wrong (for the wrong amount of people and at the wrong time) and then I had to deal with a really bad attitude from who I am assuming was another hostess when they called to confirm. When we got to the restaurant the hostess didn't greet us and didn't even bother to introduce herself to me (I was the one throwing the dinner for 16 people). We were seated even though they didn't have enough tables for my party, so two of my guests had to stand for about 15 minutes until another one of my guests just took a table that had been recently unoccupied. Not once did anyone come over to apologize for the inconvenience or make any effort to help. The waiter began taking orders, again, no introduction. The food arrived fairly quickly, but was overly salty and the meat portions were too large compared to the small side servings. My dessert order was taken (no one else's was) and brought out, so as I sat eating my dessert everyone else was waiting for their order to be taken. Akward, bad service. I would not return to this restaurant.
Tip: This top will look better on those of us with a fuller chest, the framing around the bust can look a little awkward otherwise.
Monday, December 19, 2011
Sunday, December 18, 2011
Tip: Drinking and driving is NOT COOL. If you can plan to drink, you can plan to arrange safe transportation home. Happy drinking.
If you are in NYC this show is a MUST SEE!! Super fun and entertaining, the ticket prices are more than reasonable and the entire cast really puts a lot into the show! Love, Love, Love!
ps. the Whitney skit is EPIC!
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
I have a secret….and that secret is a serious obsession with etiquette! With the holidays underway I thought it would be nice to get a little refresher on tipping etiquette. Here are bits from a few good articles I found…hopefully you find it helpful!
Day to Day:
- Food delivery person: 10% of the bill (excl. tax), at least $1 for bills up to $10. Should tip 15%-20% for a difficult delivery.
- Barber: 15% to 20%, minimum $1, for a haircut. For other services (shampoo, shave or manicure) tip $1 to $2 to service provider.
- Hairdresser: 15% to 20%. (It is now acceptable to tip owner, unless he or she says otherwise.)
- Shampoo person: $2
- Manicurist: 15%
- Spa service (e.g., massage): 15% to 20%. If service is provided by owner, no tip.
- The usual tip is fifteen (15) to twenty (20) percent on the pre-tax amount of the bill.
- Self-service restaurants: 10%.
- Extra accommodating waiters: an extra $5.00 for extra special service.
- If your meal costs much less than the restaurant average. If you eat light, or use a coupon, it is thoughtful to leave a tip commensurate with a full-priced meal.
- Unless you are a frequent patron, it is not necessary to tip the maitre d'. However, if you are a regular, you may want to give the host $10 to $20 every once to cultivate your relationship and to say "thank you" for special services.
- As you wait for a table, you can either pay for drinks as you order or run a tab, which will be added to your dinner bill. Leave a tip for the bartender before you leave the bar. $1 per drink is standard.
- Tip washroom attendants at least $1.00 for handing you a towel.
- Tip the parking attendant $2.00.
- If there was a problem that wasn't taken care of or your waiter was surly, tip eight percent. (According to the Internal Revenue Service most restaurants report eight percent of their take as wait staff income, so reducing the tip any further actually costs the server).
- Staying in a hotel? I leave between $3-$5 per night for the housekeeping crew.
- If you are checking your bags curbside at the airport, $1-$2 per bag is fair.
- If you use a hotel concierge, you should probably tip them at least $5 for getting you tickets or reservations to a show. Give more if they help more, as you never know when you may need them.
- For taxis, a pretty standard tip is 15% of the final bill.
- For limo drivers, 20% of the bill is fair.
- Ever travel overnight on Amtrak? I have, many times – and the sleeping car attendants can make or break your trip. A tip of $3-$5 per day/per passenger can make all the difference.
- When taking the shuttle from the rental car place to the airport, most people tip the drive $1 per bag (if they help you with it).
Saturday, December 10, 2011
I've had my hunters for about 3 years and they are still my favorite rain boots! I really consider them a great investment, they are awesome at keeping your feet dry in any weather and are actually pretty cute when paired with skinny jeans and a tucked in button down. They cost around $115 and are sold at Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's and Saks.
Tip: the tall boots aren't very forgiving in the calf area, I brought the lower pair and they are perfect!
Right to left: 1st row- studded cuff $44, Raine Pointed-toe Pump $78, Animal-skin Bracelet $22.80, Metal-mesh Elastic Bracelet $16.80. 2nd row- Sophia Leopard Print Clutch $136.80, Pyramid Two finger Ring $16.80, Rhinestone Snake Bangle $10.80, Babs Leopard Pump $117.
Tip: Jessica Simpson shoes are generally not made for a wide foot, I'm lucky enough not to have this issue, but if you've found that your uncomfortable in medium shoes (the general standard for pumps) then these might not be for you.
Friday, December 9, 2011
Being active should be an important part of any full figured fashionista's life, and if your anything like me you want to look just as fashionable on the treadmill as you do walking down the street. That's why I love adoraom.com (I also love the tag line for this company "ACTIVE WEAR FOR THE FULL FIGURED FASHIONISTA)"). This site boast some super cute workout gear and a great guide (above) for finding the right fit to keep you stylish and comfortable while getting your workout on!
Thursday, December 8, 2011
With the holidays fast approaching I've got a ton of holiday parties and dinners to attend! While doing research for the blog I ran across Kmart's new LYS (Love Your Self) plus size line and loved this dress. I think it's perfect for a nice dinner party and these heels (also available at Kmart) add a little bit of the Nikki flare. At $17.49 for the dress and $20.99 for the heels you really can't go wrong!